Drying Herbs: A Super Quick Tutorial

Yesterday's domestic task here at the Roost was drying parsley from the garden. It’s that time of year when the garden is starting to go off a bit, so what better time to get some of those good herbs dried? I hadn’t done it in the oven before, so I thought I’d better only do a small bunch of it, just in case I messed it up. But it worked a treat! I’ll definitely be doing that again. 

The only thing I found hard about it is remembering it was in there! 🤦🏻‍♀️

So, I heated the oven to about 60 or 70 deg C and while that was warming up I chopped the leaves up nice and small. Not dust small though; remember that it shrinks a bit as it dries. 


I smoothed it out onto baking paper, on top of a cooling rack, which was then on a tray for ease of removing from the oven. Then I popped it in the oven. And forgot about it! Don’t do that bit!! REMEMBER TO CHECK IT!! 

After about 15 mins, I took it out and gave it a stir around. It was starting to dry by then, so after about another 15 mins or so back in the oven, it was ready to come out and cool on the bench for a bit. Once it was cool, I popped it into one of my Tupperware spice containers and I’ll be using it in our dinners for a bit of flavour. It goes great in a Bolognaise!


So, look out Thyme and Oregano! I’m coming for you next!

Comments

Popular Posts